Site Visit Summary

My site evaluator for this rotation was Professor Melendez. Lucky enough for me, he was the professor that taught us OB/GYN!

During my first site evaluation, I presented an H&P and I was quizzed on my Pharmacology cards. The case that I presented was on a 43yo G7P3033 at 22w2d that was found to have Preeclampsia. After going through my H&P and discussing the assessment and plan for the patient, we also talked about Gestational Hypertension, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, etc. This case was a natural Segway into other topics that we could discuss in an educational conversation. Professor Melendez thought I was very thorough in my documentation. Some medications that I presented on included Magnesium Sulfate, Levonorgestrel Ethinyl Estradiol Tablets, and Methylergonovine.

During my second site evaluation, I presented other H&Ps, including a case of a 27yo female with a mass highly suspicious for cervical cancer. This patient had been found to have CIN3 several years earlier but did not follow up for LEEP or Cold Knife Conization due to fear of the procedures. Many attempts were made to contact the patient, though she was lost to follow-up. This patient presented with 3 months of vaginal bleeding, and a biopsy was performed. I followed up on this patient’s pathology and unfortunately, she was indeed diagnosed with cervical cancer and would now be followed in the GYN Oncology clinic. This case was important to go through with Professor Melendez because we were able to transition into a discussion of recommendations for cervical cancer screening, the different results, and how cases like this happen (where patients don’t follow up – due to a multitude of reasons – and things may progress for the worse). I presented a Journal Article on Pelvic Inflammatory Disease and reviewed the epidemiology, pathophysiology, and management of the condition. Additionally, we reviewed what research should be performed in the future. Lastly, I presented several more medications including Misoprostol, Mifepristone, and Methotrexate.

My meeting with Professor Melendez was highly educational. He offered me important tips and pointers regarding writing my H&Ps, practicing as an OB/GYN PA, and we generally reviewed several topics related to the rotation.

I seek to continue expanding my clinical knowledge and technical skills as a clinician.