PANCE Prep Plan

Detailed Self-Analysis of Academic Peformance Thus Far:

My academic performance thus far regarding Rosh Review study questions has been reassuring. I have completed all 3105 questions available to study on the Rosh Review website in addition to completing the “Rotation Exams” that were assigned to us by the program. Attached is an image detailing the “Performance Analysis” based on my results from my Rosh Review studies. The “Performance Analysis” tab shows that of the 3105 questions I have done, I have gotten 74% overall correct. My Projected PANCE Score was calculated to be 524 and my probability of passing calculated to be 88%. The “Performance Analysis” tab also breaks down how you perform compared to the national average. The areas in which I’m deficient include Reproductive, Genitourinary, Hematologic/Immunologic, Renal System, and a section described as Professional Practice.

My performance on the EOR exams has also been reassuring. According to the PACKRAT Performance Reports from the Didactic examination, I had scored lower than the national average on the gastrointestinal/nutritional section, the orthopedics/rheumatology section, and the urology/renal section. On the Clinical examination, I performed above the national performance average in all of the specialties/content area. This was a reassuring trend.

I also feel very confident given the intensive studying that my classmates and I did in preparation for NYSSPA Medical Jeopardy.

Strengths

As I prepare for the PANCE exam, I reflect on some of my strengths. I am a confident test-taker with good stamina. I feel that I truly understand the content that is tested on, and that I can reason through different iterations of questions by returning to the pathophysiology or other “broken down” aspects of the question. I do not get “stuck” on questions – if there is something I don’t know 100%, I will narrow the choices down as best as I can and then select one, flag the question, and move on. In the event that I have extra time at the completion of the section/exam, I will return to the flagged question to ponder it more. Moreover, I do not change my answers unless I am absolutely certain that I made a critical error when reading the question leading me to select the wrong choice. When I actually sit down and dedicate time to studying, I can be “plugged in” and focus for extended periods of time maximizing the benefits of the time I spend. I feel particularly strong in “question-heavy” topics that are tested like cardiology and pulmonology.

Weaknesses

Several weaknesses I have when considering my preparation for the PANCE exam include committing to particular resources to study from. I have done a fair amount of research regarding what resources to utilize in preparation for the exam and have considered various information. Many recommend keeping the number of resources you utilize to a minimum. Rosh Review came highly recommend from multiple sources. PPP was also highly recommended. I read that “The Green Book” (Formally known as A Comprehensive Review for the Certification and Recertification…) is highly recommended, particularly the pre-test that it contains. I read that the Lange Q&A book is also very useful. Moreover, I’ve read that Swanson Family Medicine is an excellent resource in preparing for the boards. I don’t want to purchase more and more question banks when one (Rosh Review) may be sufficient. Other weaknesses include particular specialty topics – those listed above as per my performance in addition to topics like knowing the signs and symptoms of different nerve root compression in addition to some anatomy.

PANCE Plan

Resources

The resources that I will use in preparing for the PANCE include Rosh Review, PPP, “The Green Book” Pre-Test, Lange Q&A, and Swanson Family Medicine

Timeline

My PANCE Exam is scheduled for January 16th. My timeline is as follows:

Study Technique

The PPP followed by the number signifies what chapters I will be reviewing for the given week. The “Weaknesses” portion for the final two weeks will be topics that I do not perform well on during practice questions or topics that I feel less confident on while studying. The goal would be to complete a minimum of 60 questions daily totaling a minimum of 420 questions weekly. During the weekends, the goal is to simulate several PANCE exams by doing blocks of 60 questions over the course of several hours. During the two weeks preceding my exam date, I also plan to purchase and complete the NCCPA PANCE practice exam available on their website. I am considering purchasing the Rosh Review “PANCE Power Packs” that are each $20 and are described as “need to know” information for the PANCE exam. I will be resetting my Rosh Review account to re-do all of the questions and see how my performance is at this time. Moreover, I would like to have several group study sessions with my peers so that we can work on our weaknesses together. I will be needing to arrange these in the upcoming weeks.