Clinical Correlations: Final Reflection

For the final semester of Clinical Correlations, my instructor was Dr. Beckerman.

I feel that I have demonstrated Proficiency (100%) in all of the criteria listed on the rubric (Content & Focus, Logic & Flow, Analysis, and Communication/Collaboration). This is evident through innumerable examples of my participation and experience during this last semester of clinical correlations.

For Content & Focus, I accessed best sources of evidence including UpToDate, CMDT, and various publications (such as NEJM) when giving in class presentations. Additionally, I find that I am aware of what is being discussed during in-class cases, and am either correct in my diagnosis, assessment, and plan, or not very far off (i.e. I am always “on the right track”).

For Logic & Flow, I always organize my in class presentations in a methodical way so that the instructor and my peers can follow along. I find that I am able to organize my thoughts clearly and articulate my decisions in such a way that others can easily understand them.

For Analysis, I find that I am able to dissect the components of the case that has been presented to determine what the information is suggesting. This helps in creating and narrowing a differential diagnosis, determining what other questions need to be asked (including labs ordered, etc.), and then guiding the assessment and plan for the patient.

For communication/collaboration, I have always participated to the full extent in this class. I enjoy researching and sharing my findings with my peers in addition to “solving puzzles” (i.e. solving cases). I enjoy contributing in class and asking thoughtful questions to further my learning.

Comparison to Beginning Clinical Correlations I in the Summer

What’s New?:

As compared to Clinical Correlations I, I find that I am more confident in my overall fund of knowledge in addition to presenting. Obviously, having learned more medicine, I feel stronger in regard to creating and navigating the differential diagnosis. Additionally, I find that I am able to determine what tests need to be ordered and what treatment plan is warranted in each individual case.

What Skills I’ve Developed?:

I’ve developed better public speaking skills and have learned to organize presentations so that my peers get the most high-yield information. Additional skills I’ve developed include creating a differential diagnosis. I have learned how to combine the various components of the history and physical to guide my thinking. I have also learned to avoid having “tunnel vision” as a clinician, considering many diagnoses rather than just centering in on one thing.

What Was Surprising or Challenging?:

One of the things that was both surprising and challenging was rotating instructors throughout the clinical correlations curriculum. I find that this was highly valuable. It exposes us as students to different instructors that have different expectations regarding in-class presentations, participation, our fund of knowledge, etc. I feel like this will closely mimic our experience during the clinical year, and for that I am very grateful.

Where I Need More Work During Clinical Year?:

Writing admissions orders will definitely be something I will need to work on, as I have had few experiences in doing this. I will need to work on understanding the disposition of my patients better (i.e. who is being admitted, who can be discharged with close follow up, etc.).

• What resources did you find most helpful – which ones will you use going forward in the clinical year?

The resources that I found the most helpful during the clinical correlations class included:

• UpToDate
  • CMDT
  • NEJM
  • Cochrane Reviews
  • What have you learned about yourself through this class?

Through this class, I have learned that I can adapt to different instructors (much like I will have to do during my clinical year). I learned that despite thinking that I will have trouble having information stick throughout the clinical year, it truly does and I am able to utilize that information and my ability to integrate and synthesize it to better care for my patients. I have learned to trust myself and to be confident in my suggetions.

• Have you changed your opinions/beliefs about any aspects of practice as a result of this course?

At first, when I had approached this course, I was sure that cases would have a definitive treatment plan for them. What I found, however, was that this was not always the case. Often times, multiple options would be the “right thing to do” for the patient. Essentially, this class opened my eyes to the fact that medicine is often “grey,” rather than being “black and white.”

• What would you advise the students in the class behind you about this course?

I would advise the students in the class behind me to take this course very seriously. I would advise them to be attentive, to actively participate, and to think critically about the information discussed in this course. In many ways, it is a mock version of what we will be doing on clinical and throughout our career. It is their first experience to put all of the knowledge and skills that they have gained together to begin learning to treat patients.

Criteria Proficient (100%) Developing

(85 %)

Minimum Performance (70%) Unsatisfactory (0%) 
Content & Focus

(25%)

Clearly understands content, focused upon most relevant information.  And uses best sources of evidence Familiar with content, may not be appropriately focused or does not use best sources of evidence Has some familiarity with content, but does not focus on most important elements. Sources are tangentially relevant, but not completely on target. Unfamiliar with content required for participation.
Logic & Flow

(25%)

Able to present an argument or topic in a logical and organized fashion. Presents an argument or topic in a thorough way, but needs better logic or organization Presents some aspects of topic well, but lacks logic or organization in other aspects Disorganized presentation, not supporting point of view.
Analysis

(40%)

Identifies relationships and components to clearly support opinions or ideas Identifies relationships and components, but lacks clarity in supporting opinions or ideas Identifies some relationships and components, but lacks some important connections. Does not identify components or relationships.
Communication/Collaboration

(10%)

Demonstrates good listening and reflecting skills and contributes appropriately Listening or reflecting skills are good and contributes appropriately Listening or reflecting skills are minimal and contributes only minimally Does not contribute  appropriately or lacks listening and reflecting skills